Date: Tuesday, October 4, 2022
Time: 9 AM to 1:30 PM
Webinar: Link and details will be sent to registrants as the date approaches.
Cost: Free to attendees. NMCWD, RPBCWD, and the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency with Clean Water Fund and Environmental & Natural Resources Trust Fund dollars are covering the cost to offer this class.
Trainer: Fortin Consulting (now Bolton & Menk, Inc.)
Questions, contact Eleanor Mahon at Riley Purgatory Bluff Creek Watershed District: firstname.lastname@example.org
This training offers ways to take a broader look at your winter maintenance strategies to discover untapped improvement areas. Learn about the hidden costs of salt use on all surfaces, recognize sustainable and efficient maintenance practices utilized on your property, the permanent environmental impacts of chloride pollution, liability issues, and funding resources. Also access tools and strategies that may assist and empower staff, customer and building users to use properties safely and responsibility.
Who should attend?
• Management-level property managers
• Business owners
• Environmental professionals
• MS4 permit staff
• Public works directors
• Local government decision-makers
What you’ll learn:
• More sustainable and efficient operations – Improve your winter maintenance practices
• New application materials — De-icing and anti-icing
• Save money and time – Reduce salt use and expensive annual infrastructure damage costs; becoming salt smart in all areas allows more time for other tasks
• Salt and snow storage improvements – Rethink usual habits and reduce chloride runoff
• Know your legal issues – Discuss liability and regulatory requirements, including the new chloride reduction related requirements in the recently reissued MPCA Municipal Stormwater (MS4) General Permit
• Protect our water resources – Learn the environmental effects of chloride in our valuable water resources
• Educational resources – Empower building users and staff on the value of smart salting
• Reduce complaints – Tips for managing customer expectations and offering assurance
Earn your MPCA Smart Salting Property Management Certification test and get listed on the MPCA website.
Hear from other maintenance pros now using less salt and still offering a high level of safety and service. Watch the new MPCA Smart Salting Trainings promo video.
Go to pca.state.mn.us/water/smart-salting-training for an up to date schedule of all the winter parking lot and sidewalk trainings.