Nine Mile Creek Watershed District
Through this project, the Nine Mile Creek Watershed District will work to target priority locations for stormwater best management practices on lands owned by nonprofits. The work is funded by a grant from the Minnesota Board of Water and Soil Resources through the Clean Water, Land and Legacy Amendment.
Project Name: Targeting Best Management Practices on Lands Owned by Nonprofits
Project Dates: March 2017-December 2019
Project Cost and Funding Sources: $83,339 Clean Water Fund Grant; 25% match from the Nine Mile Creek Watershed District
The purpose of the project is to identify priority locations for best management practices (BMPs) in the watershed on nonprofit sites. These sites typically have significant amounts of hard surfaces that contribute large volumes of polluted runoff to local lakes and creeks. After prioritizing sites, the District will have conversations with nonprofits to identify partnership opportunities that will allow the District and nonprofit to work together to plan and design stormwater management practices on their site. The District will offer educational and technical assistance to the nonprofits.
The District will provide design plans and construction cost estimates to nonprofits that are engaged in the process and commit to moving forward with the installation of a BMP on their property. The District will include the projects in its work planning.
The District identified six nonprofits through the prioritization and engagement process. The District will work with these partners to refine BMP design concepts and move into the installation phase of the project in 2019-2020.
The partners are:
1. Bethlehem Lutheran Church (5701 Eden Prairie Rd, Minnetonka, MN 55345): Infiltration Basin
2. Chapel Hills United Church of Christ (6512 Vernon Ave S, Edina, MN 55436): Vegetated Swale
3. Good Samaritan United Methodist Church (5730 Grove St, Edina, MN 55436): Raingarden
4. The Church of St. Edward (9401 Nesbitt Ave S, Bloomington, MN 55437): Two Raingardens
5. Oak Grove Presbyterian Church (2200 W Old Shakopee Rd, Bloomington, MN 55431): Raingarden
6. St. Luke’s Lutheran Church (1701 W Old Shakopee Rd, Bloomington, MN 55431): Raingarden
Initial stormwater management concept plans were developed as part of the outreach to nonprofits. Examples are provided, along with additional outreach materials developed as part of the grant.