The application period has closed for the 2018 summer intern position.
Join our team! The Nine Mile Creek Watershed District is hiring a summer intern to provide support to education & outreach activities and other program areas.
Job Posting: Intern
Application Due Date: Friday, March 23, 2018, 5 PM
Position Title: Intern
Position Status: Temporary
Reports To: District Administrator/Program and Project Manager
Hours: 20-40 hours/week with occasional weekend and evening work
Term: May through September
Candidate will develop/enhance their knowledge of watershed management, natural resources and local government, while providing support for the District’s education & outreach activities. This position will also provide support for day to day office and building activities such as organization of District files and documents, room set-up, and outdoor site maintenance.
- Assist with the implementation of District education and outreach program activities, including, but not limited to:
- Promote programs and coordinate registration and logistics.
- Assist education staff with the preparation and evaluation of education programs, including school and group programs, tabling events, etc.
- Lead environmental activities and programs and assist others in delivering them. This will include evening and weekend hours.
- Help coordinate programs and activities at the District office, Discovery Point.
- Provide direction to volunteers during select education events.
- Participate in public outreach pertaining to current and future District capital projects.
- Assist with the care of the District’s five-acre office site including maintaining raingardens, emptying the cistern, and helping with other various projects.
- Assist staff in developing and maintaining relevant information on the District’s website.
- Assist with the District’s cost share grant program by conducting site visits to past grant projects (e.g., shoreline restorations and raingardens), including contacting grantees to determine the status of their projects.
- Provide support to the District’s regulatory program including:
- Helping to maintain the District’s permit tracking database
- Assisting in field inspection of current permitted projects
- Office duties including word processing, filing, copying, email correspondence, research and information gathering, photography, etc.
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- High school diploma; currently enrolled or successfully earned a bachelor or graduate degree in water and natural resources management, environmental education, landscape architecture, urban planning, geography, engineering, or related field. Graduates may also apply.
- Ability to work independently and within a coordinated team framework
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated public speaking and presentation skills
- Ability to take initiative in completing and organizing work assignments
- Candidate must be confident in conflict resolution skills
- Valid driver’s license and own means of transportation for business purposes
- Experience using Microsoft Access, GIS, GPS and Microsoft Office is preferred.
Mail or email letter of interest and resume by 5 PM Friday, March 23, 2018 to:
Randy Anhorn, Nine Mile Creek Watershed District, 12800 Gerard Drive, Eden Prairie MN 55346